this site contains photo series showing characters needed to
identify Diptera to species level. It has been created to simplify
communication with specialists, I'm asking to check my
identification attempts. If this is your first visit on this site,
please keep in mind that many groups have not been seen by a
specialist and the names given are not reliable.
The geographic range covered, is simply the place where I live: Gemeinde Sinntal in the northeastern part of the Spessart in Germany. Contact me for details.As you can easily see, the site is currently just a stub, consisting of the photo series and some recipes how to make them. A lot of important
Diptera Gallery / Last Additions
Usage of the Gallery
Methods, Equipment, Chemicals
Working at Higher Resolution
No need to say that all kinds of taxonomic help, comments, questions, are highly welcome.
Dr. Jürgen Kappert
Copyright: In general I don't see a problem, if you want to use my photos in your own work, but only after you've received my explicit written consent. I disagree to show them on commercial websites (containing ads), not even as a thumbnail.
1. 1. 2022: Opened "Diptera Gallery" for specimens from everywhere. Currently (24.4.2022): 1949 species.
1. 3. 2021: Operated a Malaise Trap until November 2021 for comparison in Offenbach.
1. 3. 2020: Operated a Malaise Trap until November 2020 in Westerngrund; estimated end of IDs: 2026.
15. 1. 2020: Last Update of the "Faunistic Results" until end of 2019
15.12.2018: Updated the "Faunistic Results" until end of 2018. 26.1.2018: Added "Last Additions" feature
24.1.2018: Updated the "Faunistic Results" until end of 2017. This is still not a final format.
31.1.2017: Added links to CO1-Sequences ("barcodes") received from GBOL (See "Usage of the Gallery")
22. 1. 2017: Updated the "Faunistic Results" until end of 2016.